We are EA
We entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That’s why we employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry.
The Challenge Ahead
Ghost has a vacant position for an outstanding Visual Effects Artist. The successful candidate must be able to construct creative and visually stunning FX through an efficient use of particle systems, animated models, UV animation, decaling, and other techniques as well as have strong modeling and texturing skills to support their own FX work.
What a Visual Effects Artist does at EA:
- Conceptualize, design, and create in game visual effects.
- Create dynamic VFX animations and apply compositing techniques to a variety of VFX assets.
- Work collaboratively with game designers and engineers to understand and interpret gameplay requirements to communicate gameplay mechanics to the player within the budgets of the engine.
- Support the VFX lead and Art Director in the overall VFX vision for the game while taking ownership on environments, gameplay mechanics, and cinematic sequences as assigned.
- Interface with Project Managers to stay on schedule and deliver FX milestone deliverables as planned
- Foster strong communication with game rendering engineers
- Test and proactively troubleshoot FX that are not working in the game and help fix them.
- Have a thorough knowledge of optimization techniques for CPU and GPU limitations over multiple platforms
- Communicate FX development status and risks to stakeholders
- Define and refine new and existing FX tools to achieve world class VFX
- Stay involved in industry, compare other games to build process/evolve internal workflow and quality
The next great EA Visual Effects Artist needs:
- Extensive experience with VFX editors and particle systems.
- Working knowledge of Maya/Houdini or similar commercial 3D authoring packages.
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process.
- Strong proficiency in Photoshop
- Ability to conceptualize abstract concepts into impressive on-screen visuals
- Ability to create complex FX while using the most efficient memory footprint possible
- Knowledge and understanding of Fluid Simulators (Fire & Smoke) a plus
- Knowledge of AfterEffects and/or other compositing software a plus
- A keen eye for motion, compositing, timing and animation.
- Experience as an animator, modeler and/or texture artist a plus.
- Experience with a scripting language (e.g. Mel, Python) would be an asset
Experience and Qualifications
- Previous experience creating high quality VFX for AAA games.
- The ability to quickly learn and comprehend in-house VFX tools as necessary for the position.
- Be a positive, forward thinking team member who can contribute to every decision.
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Be meticulous and organized in the approach to the tasks, files and storage.
- Experience with high end CG Effects system utilizing particle systems, dynamics, and procedural animation (e.g., Maya, Houdini, MAX, etc.) is a definite advantage.
- Shader writing is also big plus (e.g., HLSL.)
- Animation skills relevant to Visual Effects, including design, composition, timing, weight, arcs, and overlapping action.
- Ability to evaluate competitive product and learn from their VFX implementation solutions.
- An avid gamer is a plus.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
At Ghost we take care of our staff and have done so during our steady growth over the years since the studio was founded. In addition to a competitive compensation package we offer our employees 10 EA games per year, a massage once a month and health care allowance. We have a collective bargain agreement with Unionen for annual pay review and also provide our employees with pension; ITP 1 or ITP 2.
We look forward to receiving your application!
More about our location
Ghost Games is a new EA studio located on the west coast of Sweden. Gothenburg is Sweden’s second largest city with a population of about 1 million people. This charming location was chosen because of the plethora of highly talented game developers that can be found in this part of Sweden and its southern regions. Founded on the core principles of excellence, fun and respect, Ghost is working to create a world-class team of developers and an exceptional working environment, and to build the next big thing in AAA gaming. We are a true multinational crowd with at least a third of us from many countries around the world. English is the main language of communication. Most of us at Ghost are now on our 2nd or 3rd project. It is a great place to work!
This position is permanent. Please apply online with a show-reel, CV and Introduction letter in English. This position is located in Gothenburg, Sweden. As part of the application process we might ask you to perform a practical work test.